These studies show that Omega 3 fatty acids reduce inflammation and may help lower risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and arthritis. (Source)
These fatty acids are only found in fish oils. You do still get some health benefits when taking Omega 3 from plant sources, however it is still recommended that you include Omega 3 from fish oils, either from eating fatty fish at least 3 times per week, or buying an Omega 3 supplement.
Of the two essential fatty acids mentioned above, DHA offer the most benefits, most supplements however, contain much more EPA than DHA, so when shopping for a supplement, be sure to choose one with as much DHA as possible.
Here are the benefits of including Omega 3 in your daily diet, these have all been proven in clinical studies.
- Fish oils, rich in Omega 3 fatty acids (DHA and EPA) have been shown to significantly reduce deaths from heart disease.
- Clinical studies have shown improvement for people who suffer from depression.
- Lower aggression in teenagers.
- Improved memory.
- Lowered risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
- When taken by mothers during pregnancy, it may help protect babies from allergies.
- Improves the body’s immune system.
- If you have, or are in danger of developing type II diabetes, research has shown Omega 3 helps regulate blood sugar levels, and decrease insulin resistance.
- People suffering from skin disorders like psoriasis have shown improvements when taking fish oils.
As you can see, Omega 3 fatty acids offers benefits both for those who just want to be proactive, as well as it can help those who already have developed some types if illnesses.
I have always had problem taking fish oil supplements. The many I tried made me burp up fish taste all day! I have finally found one that does not and it contains high levels of DHA.
OmegaGize made by Young Living Essential Oils. Check out the Fact Sheet on this great option HERE.
Young Living helps with the digestion of the supplement because they infuse this and all of their supplements with essential oils to enhance the absorption rate of the supplement. In the case of OmegaGize perhaps it also masks the fish burps! I also know they are super careful in the way they produce all of their products and I know they are safe to give to my whole family. Check out why I only use their products for the health and wellness of my family HERE.
So how about it? Eat like a pelican, get your essential fatty acids by eating fish three time a week and/or by adding a high quality Omega 3 supplement high in DHA like OmegaGize!