An important key to wellness is maintaining work life balance in your daily routine. Anything – work, time spent caring for family, and even our attempts to maintain good habits – can become a problem when it begins causing stress, or using up time you need to recharge.
But who has time to find balance? Isn’t this just one more item to put on your already long list of things to do? Striking a balance is about setting priorities, and can be done when we get mindful about what matters.
There are many ways people are told they can achieve a work-life balance. Some are able to make the adaptations to the day pretty easily. Others will struggle at times. Instead of making this another goal, instead try remembering to add these best practices back into your life when you’re feeling overwhelmed.
- Exercise. Daily doses of light exercise – it doesn’t have to be a grueling workout with a fitness goal in mind – will clear your mind and boost your mood.
- Get outside. Take a short walk each day. Or, if you are able to find the time, hiking is one of the best ways to get away. Often, you will end up somewhere with little to no cell phone reception and a beautiful view – which is an instant way to unplug and recharge. When you step away and look at the world around you, your perspective sometimes changes.
- Balance your diet. Sometimes, all this will mean is remembering to eat a meal away from your desk at work. Even better, try to be sure all of the food groups are represented – no vending machine lunches allowed. This might seem like a chore, but it can be a fun challenge that will have you focus on yourself. By focusing inwards, you are taking the attention away from work for some time, which will instantly help you to de-stress. Eating well also naturally boosts your mood.
- Make time for treats. Over-indulgence never helps, but allowing yourself to take a break once in a while is vital to your emotional health. Doing things you love will also recharge your creativity and help you be more effective when you are working. Build a little fun into each day. Use your vacation time. Don’t forget to spend time with people you love.
- Try aromatherapy. Choose your favorite Young Living essential oil, and use a diffuser to disperse the scent throughout your home. It’s a great way to set a better mood, instantly!
- Sleep. The secret of really effective people is that they often work smarter, rather than harder. When you’re well rested, it’s automatically easier to eat right, exercise, work well, and keep everything in perspective.
Today, in order to achieve balance in my life, I am taking time out to go photograph nesting birds. No assignment, no contract, just for me!
What will you do today to help maintain work life balance? Share your ideas in the comments below!
To your health!